Friday, June 30, 2017

Mermaid Tag

Steampunk Mermaid Tag
I came across the June Challenge over at Creative Embellishments and decided I would play along! Of course I came across it the afternoon of the 28th, giving me about 2 1/2 days to think up a project and complete it! I made it, with about 50 minutes left! Edit: Although the challenge said it closed at 11:55pm EST, when I tried to add my link, it was already closed, at only 11:16pm EST. I wish I had some of Creative Embellishments products to add to my tag, thankfully it wasn't a requirement! I do now have another place to go shopping, I'm sure the hubs will love that! LOL

Background ready for color!
I started out with a #12 tag that I made using some think chipboard and an industrial paper trimmer! (The hubs used to use it to cut aluminum for seamless eaves-troughs AKA: the gutters on your roof!) I glued down some tissue paper, my "sheet-metal," a bit of paper, and some of my seaweed. I added my texture paste clock, then gave it all a good coat of white gesso.

Amazing Casting Resin + Tim Holtz's Riveted Metal Embossing Folder
As a side note about how that riveted metal was made, go watch Mixed Media ATCs with Opal Magic Wax by Keren Tamir!

Background misted and spritzed!
After the gesso had dried on the background I used Distress Spray Stains: Cracked Pistachio and Mermaid Lagoon; Heidi Swapp Color Shine: Sweet Mint; Shimmerz Coloringz: Well Blue Me Down and Oh Say Can U Sea; and Shimmerz Vibez: Jeni B Bleu. I just sprayed rather randomly, drying between layers of colors, until I got what I wanted.

My glue of choice this whole project, Tim Holtz Distress Collage Medium: Matte
For my mermaid's tail I used 140# watercolor paper, ran it through my Sizzix Big Shot using Tim Holtz's Riveted Metal Embossing Folder, then used a glue stick to randomly give adhesion points for the Foil Transfer Sheets by Ranger (Vintage pack).

Adding Prima Finnabair Art Alchemy Metallic and Opal Magic waxes to my mermaid!
I didn't have any real plan going in on where I was going to add which color of wax where, and I don't think it makes a big difference! Rarely do my crafts have an all out plan!

The Mermaid, Hat, and Seaweed all came from cut files found on the Silhouette Store!
The fish were fussy cut from a paper in Graphic 45's "Steampunk Debutante" Deluxe Collector's Edition, the seahorses and sand dollar are a Spellbinders Die D-Lites set, some of the gears are from Bead Landing, and some have no (known) brand.
The seaweed was cut from a sheet of American Crafts White Vellum, and sprayed with Heidi Swapp's Color Shine: Tinsel or a combination of Heidi Swapp Color Shine: Sweet Mint and Shimmerz Coloringz: Oh Say Can U Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment