Thursday, October 19, 2017

the morning after

the morning after - 1953
Recently, while combing through old photos my grandma had kept over the years, I came across this photo, and I fell in love with it! I find it to be hauntingly beautiful. The remnants of packaging are scattered among the new toys that had arrived the day before. Even the lamp shade is crooked! This moment in life was captured forever by my grandma, she even provided the title! "The Morning After" had been written at the bottom of the photo.

Over at scrapbook.com, I host "The Ugly Games." (formally known as "The Ugly Paper Challenge," we had a vote!). Anywho...the object of the challenge is to use the two papers and the embellishment(s) (optional) that you are sent at the beginning of the month to create a layout! (I give out addresses on the 1st, & in short, you send a set, you receive a set). Now for my disclaimer, I'm not saying the products are themselves "ugly," the whole point of the challenge is to use papers sent to you that you may or may not have ever considered trying to combine, or they may or may not be your "style." Back in September, I received the following papers:

"The Ugly Games" papers I received in September
First, a short explanation, because these papers were sent to me during football season! I am a Kansas City Chiefs fan, and another football "nut" in the group is a Seattle Seahawks fan, and she has been patiently waiting for me to be on the receiving end during football season since the spring! The mascot for the Seahawks is Tamia the Hawk, hence the photo, and Seahawks fans are the "12th Man Army," hence the two "12" circles (apparently the Seahawks can't play without an extra person 😏) Anyhow, I normally get my layouts completed on time, but September was a draining month for me, and it seemed to affect my creative process. I knew what I wanted to create, I was just constantly running into a mental roadblock! I had actually put a layout together most of the way, but it just wasn't right! It was dull, and the lobster paper poinsettias just wouldn't blend in! I was frustrated, and that certainly didn't help my roadblock, then, as luck would have it, I saw this layout by Phyllis on the ReneaBouquet's Facebook Page, and I knew it was the inspiration I needed to get those papers used! It embodied the direction I had been trying to go, and stepped it up a notch! I actually dismantled the layout I had started, very carefully, given I couldn't replace any of the elements I had received in The Ugly Games and started anew! In fact, the Bazzill "Ash" cardstock with the Prima Crackle Paste was part of the original! (In addition to the parts created from the papers and embellishments I received.)

A closer look at the flower cluster and ReneaBouquet Silver Microbeads & Black Shard Glitter Glass (both linked at end of post) under the title!
Closer look at the cluster on the right side showcasing the flair from {A flair for buttons} (link at end of post)

Just another angle.
A close up of the Silver Glass Microbeads on some of the holly leaves! (I am seriously in love with those beads!)

Another angle!
The photo was taken from the top of the page looking down, with a good look at what I did to the pink rhinestone strip I had received! I used alcohol inks on it to change the color, dabbed on some "Foiled Again" Shimmerz Dazzlerz, and ran a wire through it so I could shape it!

Looking down at the Black Glitter Glass and Silver Microbeads that are at the top of the page.

Looking down at the cluster found on the left side of the photo!



**All of the cuts (poinsettia's, holly, ornaments) came from the Silhouette Store!**

Product List:
  • ReneaBouquet:
  • Shimmerz
    • "Coal" Paint
    • "Foiled Again" Dazzlerz
  • {a flair for buttons} "Tis The Season" Flair
  • Hot off the Press: Black Silver Floral Foil Cardstock
  • Bazzill
    • "Ash" Cardstock
    • Silver Metallic Cardstock
  • Basic Grey: Juniper Berry "Lump of Coal" Paper
  • Fancy Pants Designs
    • "Collecting Moments" Sticker Fundamentals
  • Tim Holtz:
    • Flourish Stencil
    • Distress Spray Stains: Candied Apple, Iced Spruce, & Weathered Wood
    • Distress Ink: Iced Spruce
    • Distress Oxide: Iced Spruce
    • Paper Distresser
    • Hinge Clip
    • Mini Ink Blending Tool - Round
    • Alcohol Inks: Cranberry & Silver
  • Ranger:
    • Texture Paste
    • Transparent Gloss Texture Paste
    • Glossy Accents
    • "Gunsmoke" Stickles
    • "Perfect Pearl" Perfect Pearls
  • WOW Embossing Powder: Cloud 9
  • Martha Stewart "Scallop Dot" Edge Punch
  • Prima
    • "White Crackle" Texture Paste
    • "Crackle" Stencil
  • DMC Silver Embroidery Floss
  • a la mode clear embossing powder
  • Silhouette
    • Cameo
    • Curio
  • Unknown:
    • the red paper
    • the red cardstock (behind the photo)
    • the green paper behind the photo
    • Flat back pearls
    • Silver wire
    • Silver Metallic Marker
  • Homemade Alcohol Inks: Black (ish) & a light purple (ish)

No comments:

Post a Comment