Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Tiger Lilly!

Tiger Lilly

Sometimes I just experiment, I get "I wonder..." and "What if..." thoughts in my head and I have to try them out! Sometimes I experiment because I have a shiny new product to try out! In the case of this tag, it was a little of both!

I had cut out tags the other day using my Cameo, and I decided I wanted to coat them in dark colors. One was done with black acrylic paint, and the other (the top one) was done with some Tattered Angels - Plain Jane Collection - Stained Glass - Semi Matte Glaze - Green. I've had the bottle for about three years now, I forgot I owned it!

Well, I live in a dry climate, and I basically had some goo in a bottle at this point, but I decided to see if I could rehydrate enough to use one last time. After adding some water & rubbing alcohol I managed to get some lumpy green liquid in a bottle! LOL! It was just enough to coat a tag.

At this point I wasn't sure what to do with my newly coated tags, so I went browsing through my stamps and when I came across my Penny Black Tiger Lilly I decided to practice using my Distress Oxides on a dark background!

Love the "Water Droplets" created by Ryn at Designs by Ryn!
When I get to experimenting I have a tendency to do things rather backwards. I stamped and colored my Tiger Lilly, then decided I needed to add more to the tag! I used some scrap plastic to make a quick mask for the Tiger Lilly so I could add some plaid to the background with more Distress Oxides and Tim Holtz's "Stripes" ATC stamp for the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge! Then I decided to use my "Water Droplets" stamp by Ryn at Designs by Ryn to see how those droplets would look on a dark background as well! I like it personally, and I'll be sharing/entering this tag in Ryn's monthly challenge!

You can really see those water droplets here across the flower!
I still wanted more on the tag, I thought there was too much empty space! I decided to at some stenciling!! Now, because Distress Oxides are a pigment and dye ink hybrid, the Snowflake Paste by Prima activated the dye ink and absorbed it! (I planned on this happening!!) Now I had some shiny, greenish honeycomb on my tag! And to keep the paste off my water droplets? Artist's tape. As the final touch I added the little bee and embossed it in Ranger's Gold Embossing Powder!

That Snowflake Paste absorbed some of the colors from the Distress Oxides underneath!
Product List:
  • "Water Droplets" stamp created by Ryn at Designs by Ryn!
  • Tattered Angels - Plain Jane Collection - Stained Glass - Semi Matte Glaze - 1.35 Ounce Bottle - Green
  • Silhouette Cameo
  • Prima Snowflake Paste
  • Ranger Water Brush (nib), White Embossing Powder, Gold Embossing Powder, and Jet Black Archival Ink.
  • Tim Holtz "Stripes" ATC Stamp, Honeycomb Stencil, Paper Distresser, Distress Embossing Ink, Distress Ink - Picket Fence, and Distress Oxides - Spiced Marmalade, Fossilized Amber, Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Peeled Paint, Iced Spruce, Cracked Pistachio, and Broken China.
  • A PrismaColor White Colored Pencil
  • Unknown on that little bee stamp
  • Penny Black Tiger Lilly Stamp
  • I used one of the black eyelets that came with my Pink Crop-A-Dile & Case!!

2 comments:

  1. Really striking! I love all the texture and pattern - thanks so much for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I love about mixed media - there is so much room for experimenting! I agree with Lin. Great texture in this! Like how you used Water Droplets as a pattern on the flower petals too. Thanks for posting to my challenge :)

    ReplyDelete